Languages

French version of the website Paris méconnu English version of the website Paris méconnu Spanish version of the website Paris méconnu
Japanese version of the website Paris méconnu

Home  >  7th arrondissement  >  Cinéma La Pagode

Cinéma La Pagode
In 1895, François-Emile Morin, manager of the famous Parisian department store Le Bon Marché, decided to give his wife the present of an authentic pagoda, imported section by section from Japan. Reconstructed by the architect Alexandre Marcel in the heart of the Haussmannian 7th arrondissement, this unusual building looks just like a real Japanese temple. It also has a splendid oriental garden. This pagoda first housed a ballroom where, until the end of the 1920s, sumptuous parties and receptions with oriental themes were held. In 1931, after four years of closure and the arrival of a new owner, this magical place, known as La Pagode from then on, re-opened its doors to the public as a cinema. It became a prestigious place for movie-lovers over the years, offering a high-quality program (Eisenstein, Cocteau, Renoir, Buñuel, etc.). The main “Japanese” cinema hall is decorated in a spectacular and refined manner, with ornate walls and ceiling, frescos, gilded objects, stained-glass windows, chandeliers and red velvet curtains. Its exotic Japanese garden, in the heart of Paris, is extraordinary. A second, more ordinary and modern, cinema hall was constructed downstairs in 1973. La Pagode is an independent cinema with the “Art et Essai” (art-house) label, and has been listed as a historic building since 1990.
57, bis rue de Babylone, Paris, 7th arrondissement.
Metro : Saint-François-Xavier (line 13). Tel : +33 (0)1 45554848.
Cinéma La Pagode
Cinéma La Pagode
Cinéma La Pagode