Languages

French version of the website Paris méconnu English version of the website Paris méconnu Spanish version of the website Paris méconnu
Japanese version of the website Paris méconnu

Home  >  2nd arrondissement  >  Galerie Colbert

Galerie Colbert
In 1826, a group of speculators commissioned the architect Jean Billaud to construct, on the site previously occupied by Hôtel Colbert, a covered passage on a par with the famous neighboring Galerie Vivienne. Opened in 1827, the Galerie Colbert was esteemed for its elegance and architectural modernity, such as the 15-meter high rotund with a transparent glass dome to let in the light, the use of new materials, columns and arcades gilded in the Pompeian style, mosaic on the floor and crystal balls. However, it never became a commercial success, and attracted increasingly less custom, as it got little attention from the passing shoppers. In 1859, it was bequeathed to the State and more or less abandoned. In 1974, thanks to a renewed interest in 19th century architecture, the gallery was listed as an historic monument. It was then purchased by the national library, and made into an annex of their premises. In 1985, Adrien Blanchet was put in charge of restoring the gallery, which was in very poor condition, so much so that it was more a reconstruction than a renovation project. It how houses the National Institute of Art History (INHA) and the National Heritage Institution (INP). Nowadays, it is of cultural interest, and no longer accommodates private business, with the exception of an impressive brasserie.
6, rue des Petits Champs, Paris, 2nd arrondissement.
Metro : Bourse (line 3).
Galerie Colbert is open to the public and free of charge.
Galerie Colbert
Galerie Colbert
Galerie Colbert